
The good news it that I have healed nicely, without need of physical therapy. It's a little tender if you press on it but for the most part, it's not really an issue. I am going back to work today, semi-retirement is over. (Sob)
What I haven't publicly shared is the bad news from the Orthopedic Surgeon. When he took the stitches out a week after the surgery, he went over the images he garnered from my knee joint while he was in there removing the fragment. I have bad arthritis in the joint and am looking at a knee replacement down the road. There is hardly any good cartiledge left in the joint. One cause of arthritis is auto-immune diseases which by now you all know, I have! He told me that a replacement typically lasts 15 years. I am 48 years old so do I hold off or do I do it sooner? The one thing that comes to mind is how much Dave and I love to hike. By waiting, I feel like I will be missing out on some of the things we enjoy. I have been wondering if I should have it done in about 4 years since Dave is hoping to retire in 6 more years? I have a lot on my mind these days regarding my decision. I need to turn it over to the Lord and wait upon Him to direct me.
In the meantime, I have had to rethink every activity I do. The doctor told me that I shouldn't bike (no problem there), no squatting or being on my hands and knees. I clean houses so this is a challenge to say the least. I am fine on level ground walking but stairs present me with discomfort and a "loose joint" feeling. I also had another platelet count done at the Texas Cancer Center and while they're at an acceptable level of 101,000, for someone on 600mg of steroids a day, you'd think they'd be higher!
All of this makes me bone tired, right down to my poor wittle knee!




9 comments:
Connie, we're the same age....and I have the same problem. Doctor says I need a total knee replacement...and since I also have an auto-immune disease...ugh. So much in common!
We also love to hike and haven't been able to do much geocaching at all in months due to the discomfort in my knees and Brillo Man's hip.
Why no biking? Just yesterday, we decided to join the Wellness Center so that I could bike...thinking that since I wouldn't be bearing weight on my knee that it would be okay... perhaps not.
I know you will be guided to the right decision for you! So sorry to hear about your knee!
My Mom-in-law had to have replacements on both knees because of Rheumatoid Arthritis. (another auto-immune disease.) She did awesome...went home and proceeded to climb stairs and do everything sooo
much easier...she never even had physical therapy after she left the hospital. It was amazing!!!
Dear Connie,
I don't think anything will hold you back from doing things you love to do.
Maybe not to the same extent but you will still go hiking with your sweetheart and you could go swimming too, eh?
I also have a muscle disease and I thought with my weak legs that biking would be bad but my sister, Gail who also has the disease says that using the stationary bike she has at home now is making her legs stronger.
I sure will be praying that the Lord will lead you in the right direction and hey who knows, eh?
Maybe the Lord will come before you even have to face having an operation and your legs sure will be in good shape in heaven!....Love Terry
Connie, I am so sorry you have such a heavy decision to make. I am 51 and also have auto-immune disease. I also have degenerative joint disease in my spine. I have been told there is nothing that can be done to help my spine because of the degenerative nature of the disease. I am praying the Lord will give you wisdom in doing what is right for you and peace in your spirit to confirm your decision is His will. I will also tell you what the doctors told my husband about his hip. There is no need to go through life suffering and restricted when so much help is available. Just something else to consider! Love you!
Diane
I'll be praying for you sweetheart. I dont want you to miss out on the fun things you and your family do together!
All that would make me bone tired too. I pray that God will supply the widsom regarding the timing of your knee replacement.
You are so young to be going through so much, yet your life is so full. It's that great spirit you have that rises above what life throughs at ya!
I am praying guidance for you in your decisions.....bless you
hugs
donna
Dear Constance,
My best locomotive hiker friend, Turid, has had hip problem for years and years . When she talked about hip replacement, the doctors kept saying, "It will only last for 15-20 years. You are to young. Finally she could hardly walk, put on a lot of weight, fat instead of muscles etc.
She decided she had to have the op, and convinced the doctors by saying, "Science develops so quickly. I'm sure that when my artificial hip is worn out, there'll be a far better replacement.
She got her new hip. Used much time in training after the op. Her daughter's a physiotherapist, and saw to that the convalescence was properly done.
Now Turid again is the leader sheep. She followed this very tough pilgrim march last midsummer.
She's also the sweetest. One day a week with her friends, no matter how short our hike is.
I wish for you to take the plunge.
Life is now. We never know what meets around the bend.
Nevertheless; prayer is absolutely the best adviser and remedy.
From Felisol
Post a Comment