Friday, March 20, 2009

REMEMBERING

I spent the day yesterday, neck deep in nostalgia, reminiscing and whistful sighing. I have begun scanning pictures for Bub's Graduation DVD. It is much more time-consuming than I remember! I don't know how I am going to get through High School Graduation? I suppose I need to buy a new tube of waterproof mascara!


Charles, a few minutes old!


I don't hardly recognize myself here. Where are the wrinkles and gray hair?


We started our kids out early on our love for the outdoors!


Can you believe I used to think that I was fat in this picture? I'd give my right arm to weigh that again!


This picture of Charlie/Bubbie holds a lot of meaning for me. The stuffed animal on the floor next to him was a gift from my grandmother, his great grandmother. Mr Mouse went everywhere with him, it was his bestest friend. Charlie is a sweet, caring and sensitive person. I'm not being prideful when I say that he gets those traits from my side of the family and not Dave's, it's merely stating a fact! I've always known, the way a mother does, that God has a special calling on my son's life. He's outgoing, witty, friendly, polite and so on. In 2000, my paternal grandmother was diagnosed with Leukemia. I saw her in May when my oldest daughter Jennifer graduated from college and I remember telling Dave that I didn't think she had a lot of time left, her eyes no longer held their usual spark. In July, my father called me to tell me she was in the hospital and not doing well. Grandma and I had a very close bond, she helped raise me while my mother (her ex DIL) was busy working and trying to support the 2 of us. I left the next day, driving straight through to St Louis with Laura and Charlie so I could spend what turned out to be my last visit with her. It was difficult seeing her lying in the hospital bed, dependent on others to take her to the bathroom, her dignity slowly having been taken away from her. Every day, I still think of her and wish I could visit with her one more time. After a couple of days it was time to go back to Texas. Our last visit with her, before we left, Charlie went up to her and placed Mr Mouse next to her "so she wouldn't be lonely" there in the hospital. (Sorry, I STILL get choked up all of these years later). He took that mouse everywhere with him but he left it with my precious Grandma to keep her company. She was released, sent home to my Father's house with Hospice care and passed away 2 weeks later. Before she died, she told my father to make sure that Mr. Mouse got back to Charlie. I brought him back to Texas along with the trunk (filled with all of the family photos) that I recently had restored. To this day, my 18 year old son has a special place on his shelf for Mr. Mouse.

14 comments:

The Raggedy Girl said...

Oh my heart!!! What a beautiful story about Mr. Mouse.

Have A Fantastic Friday
from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

Caroline said...

My Jacob graduates in June, so I feel your emotions exactly. Time goes by so fast, doesn't it?

donna said...

I still can remember the emotions of our youngest graduating....

loved this post...

hugs
donna

mrsjojo said...

What a sweet story of Mr. Mouse.

I know you are enjoying the reminiscing and your scrapbook is going to be such a wonderful snapshot of life flying by. Enjoy!

Shelley said...

I have tears in my eyes - your son has a kind heart - and what a thoughtful gesture to leave that mouse w/ grandma. Maybe you should skip the mascara... :-)

Trish said...

Beautiful memories...what a loving Son. You should be proud!!!

Ganeida said...

Mmmmm, but so good to know you got it right, mum! The time really does go so fast.

Pat said...

What a precious baby boy and what a beautiful Mommy!
Time really does move to quickly when it comes to our children and grandchildren...and aging!

Charlotte said...

Sweet pictures and a heart-wrenching story.
I made a DVD for each of my kids last year for their birthdays. You're right. A lot of emotional feelings in collecting all those old photos and scanning them.
Have a great weekend.
Charlotte

Deb said...

mmmm....I thought I made a comment...perhaps it's lost in cyberspace...or is it "waiting for approval" ?

We all look at old photos of ourselves and remember that we once thought we were fat....and then say to ourselves that we wish we could be that person again!!

Terry said...

What a treasure that Mr.. Mouse brought back with him Connie...blessings from a dear gramma and a suitcase full of treasured family pictures.
How she would have loved to see Bub's graduation and how pleased she would be to see how he has grown up to be a good albeit a mischievous boy!.....Love Terry

Jenn said...

Not nice to make the pregnant one cry...especially as she is pregnant with her son and knows someday will be in your shoes. BooHoo. sniff.sniff. Make sure you bring the dvd of the grad video back with you in June since we will miss graduation.

Diane said...

These 'life events' are such precious times to remember the goodness of the Lord and His blessings in our life. Your Charlie sounds like a wonderful young man with a generous heart and loving spirit. When all is said and done, what more can a Mommy ask for? Bless you Connie and your wonderful Charlie! Many hugs..........

Diane

Margie said...

oh how sweet!!! thank you so much for sharing!!