Everyone who has spent more than a couple of visits here on my blog knows that I am a History addict! It's the stuff that drives me, inspires me and moves me. I am currently reading "The Bedford Boys", a book about one small town in America that lost the largest percentage of American men in WW2. It has been an incredibly good read. Reading of their landing on D-Day on Omaha Beach is the legible equivilent of watching the opening scene of "Saving Private Ryan" (one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time!) It's so intense that I have to put the book down, take a break and a deep breath before I can resume.
I get suggestions from Amazon, from time to time about certain books or movies that might be of interest to me because of some of my previous purchases. "Most Honorable Son" was one of them. Last night Dave and I watched this documentary about an American-born Japanese man who fought in WW2 despite a nation's prejudices against him and other American citizens of Japanese descent. I was humbled by his humility as well as his patriotism for his country. He was a flyer, based in Africa flying missions against the Germans. He flew MORE than the required 25 missions that earned a soldier a ticket home. When he returned to America he was exploited by the Government for propaganda, despised by some of his own people in internment camps and treated with prejudice from others. He signed up for another tour of duty and was sent to the Pacific where he participated in bombing runs against Japan. What an incredible story his is! I highly recommend this documentary to anyone who has an interest in WW2 or just wants to watch something poignant and moving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the recommendation.
Have a wonderful Sunday
from Roberta Anne
I can't watch Saving Private Ryan because I know that I will be reduced to an emotional ball of jello. Likewise, I probably couldn't read the book or see the movie Most Honorable Son.
For some reason, I'll do anything to keep myself from crying...but yet I cry on a daily basis - usually more than once. Go figure.
What an amazing human being...he is what honor is all about!
Saving Private Ryan had me sobbing
so hard I was choking. All I could think was that mt Daddy was only a boy of 17...they were babies!
And the horror that Daddy saw he could never speak of...and he couldn't bring himself to watch the movie...too many memories.
I love history myself! WWII is not my favorite time period but I still get teary reading/watching stuff about it.
a comment about your post on your son's graduation...must be a guy thing...my son did exactly the sam thing..only we missed the order completely and I found out a few weeks before graduation that we needed to go in to the vendor and order INVITATIONS! of all things and the cap and gown too. He didn't have invites with the school logo etc...they were sold out...MEN! They are from MArs!
Thankfully it didn't hinder his growing up at all..he is currently finishing his MBA, working two real jobs AND has a serious girlfriend! tada! :)
Thank you for sharing this - my husband is always fascinated by war stories so I know he'll enjoy this!
Post a Comment