This weekend was a really nice one, not too hectic or crazy, jut the way I like them. Late last week, amidst the severe weather that blew into North Texas, so did cooler temperatures. When we awoke Saturday morning, it was a mere 34 degrees outside so I did what any sensible Texan would do, I built a fire in the fireplace! We had a small amount of firewood left out on the porch and I decided to use it up. We had a fire until 1:00 in the afternoon. It was great, I plopped myself in front of it, with a comfy pillow, laid around in my PJ's and read my latest Teddy Roosevelt book. Does it get any better than this?
Dave and I went to a wedding at our church's main campus later that afternoon. One of the girls from our small group, while we were serving in Youth Ministry got married. It was a mini reunion seeing so many of those kids, all grown up now. Gee, I am getting decrepid! It was a beautiful wedding and at the end, the Bride & Groom sat down and we sang some worship songs. While they were taking photos, the rest of us were enjoying the dessert buffet.
(Dave & I at the wedding Saturday).
We finished up, ran home to change and then ran over to some friend's house where he hung out until 11:30! For the record, that is WAY past my bedtime and contrary to popular opinion, I did NOT turn into a pumpkin!
Church was incredible yesterday! Our Pastor is SO passionate and on fire that he's contagious! We are blessed to have such a shepherd over us!
We relaxed the rest of the afternoon and watched, "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas" last night. Wow! A subject near to my heart since I have listened to my mother tell me the story of how her daddy's younger brother was killed in an extermination camp. Not a happy movie but one that impacted me greatly.
I had trimmed Dave's hair and was getting ready to go to bed when Charlie motioned at me to come over towards him and to be quiet. As my ears strained to hear something, a gnawing and chewing noise gave me the willies!
We tried to figure out where it was coming from. I lifted the recliner to see if it was in the chair. Nope. I opened the filing cabinet and rummaged around in there as well. Nope. It sounded like it was coming from the wall! UGH!
At that time Dave came out and asked what was going on. In the midst of our explanation, the chewing noise resumes. We surmised it was coming from underneath the house (I haven't seen any "calling cards" inside the house!) I asked,
"Do you think it's a rat?"
I'm telling you, it was doing some LOUD chewing! The only response I got was,
"the look".
Here we go, the 3 of us at 10:30 at night, armed with a flashlight to look under our house. I said aloud,
"I sure hope this doesn't turn out like one of those X-Files episodes!"
We live in a double-wide and Dave had guessed where he thought the noise was coming from. He pulled off one of the skirting panels and shined the flashlight underneath. Naturally, we didn't see anything. We decided to leave the panel off in case whatever was under there, was hopefully looking for a way out. I am guessing a opossum or even an armadillo was under there. With the heavy winds a few days ago, the skirting was probably billowing around, making it easier for some kind of critter to get under there and out of the wind.
I've been up for hours now and haven't heard a thing. Either it has scampered off or it is bloated and full from a night of chewing up our house!




9 comments:
Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Sometimes in the summer we have wild horses come and trim our lawn and you will hear munching. I hope your uninvited visitor moves on.
Have An Amazing Monday!
from Roberta Anne-the Raggedy Girl
Oh, I HATE those little noises!!! I heard one myself night before last. Sounded as if it was coming from the closet in the hall. Looked everywhere, nothing. Kept hearing the noise; kept searching. Still, nothing! Now I'm highly agitated and more than a little bit nervous to open the closet door again! Gosh, I hope I find it soon or it runs off or something! I'd hate to have to waste perfectly good money on an exterminator and I'm here to tell ya, that's exactly what will be happeing if some creature doesn't make an appearance soon! Hope you find your critter and life returns to normal! Have a great day!
Diane
You are one brave woman!!! There is NO way I would've been out there with those men of yours...if I even see a mouse i screech...Oooh!
It has turned cold here too... we even got some snow yesterday..it's Michigan so no surprise.
I'd be typing this blog while standing on top of a table! I HATE mice, rats and all things similar! I once had a mouse run past my desk at work. I went home early and told them I'd return when they catch the mouse.
May your chew, chew, gnaw, gnaw vanish!!
It sounds like you had a great weekend - until you had a house guestor two. I am so very, very afraid of mice and rats. I hope that you got rid of whatever it was.
Sweetie
this happened to us once...a squirrel fell down the chimney and scratched it's way through the board covering the hole where the stove pipe used to go...I don't remember if I blogged about it but maybe I should....I was the only one home and it scared the bejeepers out of me....
I always grab the broom and stand on a chair when I see a mouse...my hubby thinks it is the funniest thing....says the mouse is more scared of me than I am of it!!!
blessings
donna
daa!! ick!!
We had a rat in our house last year. I was mortified!!! I have never had a rat in my house before. The noise was LOUD! We put some rat poison out - although I hated the thought of killing the rat, I hated the thought that he was in my house more!!
I've added that movie to my netflix list...thinking that I'll probably sob through the whole thing.
LOL you're so funny!! I'm just picturing all of you out there with your flashlight! And then I pictured the rat from "Charlotte's web" (the original movie) sitting back with that big ol' belly being full!
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one that decide to make Saturday, pajama day!!
Great picture of you and Dave!!
Post a Comment